Top Ten Mobile Phone News Stories of the Week

Enjoy our round-up of ten mobile phone related news stories you may have missed this week including the new Pantech Vega Racer 2, the Sharp SHo6D NERV custom phone and an image of a device which could be the Nexus tablet.

1. Possible Google Tablet Image Leaked

Rumours of the Google Nexus tablet have gathered pace recently, and this week a leaked picture sparked a debate as to whether it was the Nexus or not. The picture doesn’t give much away, aside from a metallic rear panel and a series of controls around the edge, and at least one source says it’s similar to a 7.7-inch Toshiba tablet seen at CES. We won’t know if it really is the Nexus tablet until Google decide to unveil it.

2. Google TV Coming to UK Soon

Google’s Android powered television system, known as Google TV, is reportedly coming to the UK this September, and rather than just the set-top boxes seen in the USA, we’ll be getting a Blu-ray player with Google TV too. Prices will be £200 and £300 respectively.

3.  Custom Sharp Aquos Phone is Certainly Different

This is a Sharp SHo6D NERV, a custom version of another Sharp phone named the SH-06D3D, and it has been modded to tie-in with the release of a new Evangelion film in Japan. The casing looks fantastic, and Android has been given a very slick skin that renders the original OS almost completely unrecognisable. The phone has a 4.5-inch  3D screen and a 1.2GHz processor, but it’s a limited run and only available in Japan, so this video may be the only chance we’ll get to see it.

4. Study Shows Amazon App Store is More Profitable than Google Play

While we’re still waiting for Amazon to launch its Android application store in the UK, a new study has shown that despite the store being smaller than Google Play, app developers can expect to make three times the amount of money selling their software than they would via Google’s store.

5. Android Platform Figures Shows Slow ICS Adoption

The latest set of figures from Google show the version 4.0 of Android, known as Ice Cream Sandwich, is only installed on 2.9% of all devices, while Gingerbread still rules with 63%. It’s 2.2 Froyo in second place with 23%.

6. Fujitsu Buys Out Toshiba

Fujitsu has bought out Toshiba’s stake in Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications. Fujitsu already owned 80.1% of the company anyway, and has now grabbed the remaining 19.9% and will change the company name to simply Fujitsu Mobile Communications.

7.  See an Elephant Use a Galaxy Note

If you need proof that the Galaxy Note has a big enough screen to cope with even the most sausage-like fingers, take a look at this amazing video of an elephant using one! Peter is obviously a very clever elephant, as he happily flips through pictures and even plays instruments on the device.

8. Pantech Annouce the Vega Racer 2

The new Pantech Vega Racer 2 has a ceramic chassis, just like the one rumoured for the Galaxy S III, a massive 4.8-inch screen with a 720p resolution, and a 1.5GHz dual-core processor. Like the first Vega Racer, the Racer 2 will be sold in Korea, and will work on the country’s LTE network; but sadly it’s unlikely the device will be released elsewhere in the world.

9. Google Starts Android 4.0.4 Rollout

Google has announced on its Android Google+ page, that version 4.0.4 of Ice Cream Sandwich is now rolling out to the Nexus S, Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi and the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus. In addition to some performance enhancements, it features smoother screen rotation animation and better camera software.

10. Nokia Carla Update Screens Leaked

The next version of Symbian will be Nokia Carla, and a series of screenshots have been leaked. They don’t show a huge amount of detail, but do indicate a new keyboard, new browser, and a revised interface and music player. Nokia Carla is designed for the Nokia 700, 701, 603 and 808 Pureview, but no release date has been given.

Leave a Reply